EG's Folding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EG's Folding Forum

Forum for discussing Folding at Home. And a place to seek help with the same.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Advice on best utilizing this hardware. Getting a 2nd 780i

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr_Scary

Advice on best utilizing this hardware. Getting a 2nd 780i Empty
PostSubject: Advice on best utilizing this hardware. Getting a 2nd 780i   Advice on best utilizing this hardware. Getting a 2nd 780i EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 6:44 pm

3 years ago my brother and I built Twin SLI computers
we are building him an x58 probably this weekend.
so he is selling me his left over hardware.

Specs
- EVGA 780i SLI
- Q6600
- 2 EVGA 8800GTS 512 G92 2-Way SLI
- 2 or 4 GB ?? of XMS2 DDR2/800
- Antec 900
- Zalman 9700 CNPS
- Windows XP 32-Bit

We are re-using the other hardware in his new rig
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Raptor HDD
- DVD Drive

What would be the best most energy efficient way of utilizing this hardware to fold?
I was thinking both GPU's and the CPU?

The bad part is, he does'nt think he registered the hardware for Lifetime Warrnty.
Even though I told several times.

Also any PSU recomedations? Not cheap, but Cost efficient.
I need just enough power to run the above PC 24/7 folding. maybe a some overhead.

it may be a week or 2 before I start putting it together,
and not sure when I'll get a PSU.
Back to top Go down
http://williamwendland.com
Sray

Sray

PostSubject: Re: Advice on best utilizing this hardware. Getting a 2nd 780i   Advice on best utilizing this hardware. Getting a 2nd 780i EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 10:16 pm

Definitely running three clients over the 2 CPUs and the CPU is going to be the best way to go, pretty much the only way. I'd stick with the standard CPU client though instead of the SMP one, as a I'm thinking that a Q6600 might not be able to keep up with running the two GPU clients and make the tight deadlines on the SMP client. That's if you're planning on keeping all of the equipment.

For energy efficiency, if I was doing this, I'd probably sell off the 8800s and put in two GTS 240s. That's going to allow you to cut down heat production and lower power cost significantly without a huge sacrifice in terms of PPD. I've been running a folding client on my mother's 9600GT 24/7 for about two weeks now (she hasn't even noticed lol) which has been netting me probably about 2700 PPD which is about equal to my 5870, which has to be tricked into folding as a R700; and the GT 240 has about the same graphics power as the 9600, but actually even better compute performance which makes it better at folding on far less power. With two of those cards that would probably be less demanding on the CPU, you'd probably be able to run the SMP for a much greater PPD output at less power.

But then, it all really does come down to whether or not you want to spend the extra money when you do already have two monster folders on hand. Not an easy choice.

For a new PSU, my recommendation would be for anything from Corsair. They're all 80+ certified, quiet and very reliable. If you're keeping the 8800s, then the TX650 should cover you, but the TX750 would power the rig and give you all the wiggle room you could possibly want. If on the very outside chance you think that you might go with my idea, then the VX550 would do the trick.
Back to top Go down
Mr_Scary

PostSubject: Re: Advice on best utilizing this hardware. Getting a 2nd 780i   Advice on best utilizing this hardware. Getting a 2nd 780i EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 1:12 pm

Thanks, That's a handfull of info..

I like the GT240 myself as well for low power consumption,
I never thought about selling and getting a pair of those.
I know they won't SLI, but I have plenty of that stuff already..
definatly be considering the 240's I could even go with 3 perhaps ??

I'll start looking at Power Supplies..

the build may get postponed, My brother has to work this weekend.
And I've got 3.5 days off - starting today. GRRRR.....

Oh well we will see...
Back to top Go down
Sray

Sray

PostSubject: Re: Advice on best utilizing this hardware. Getting a 2nd 780i   Advice on best utilizing this hardware. Getting a 2nd 780i EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 1:43 pm

You could definitely pop 3 of the 240s in there, and most likely the Corsair VX550 should cover you for power draw, but you might want to consider the TX650 just to be on the safe side. Unfortunately, I'm not a PSU guru, and horrible at figuring out power draws.

However, this could turn into a relatively expensive project. A GT 240 costs about $115 or so (depending on location, taxes, etc), so three of them and a new PSU could rack this little project up well over $400 when all is said and done. Even selling off the 8800s is only likely to cover $80 to $100 of the cost, so that has to be a factor as well. Undoubtedly you've considered/are considering that at this point, but I'm reasonably sure that the long term savings could make the investment worthwhile if you do plan on having a dedicated folding rig.
Back to top Go down
Mr_Scary

PostSubject: Re: Advice on best utilizing this hardware. Getting a 2nd 780i   Advice on best utilizing this hardware. Getting a 2nd 780i EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 2:18 pm

actually I found these for 50.00 ea. after MIR @ NewEgg -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130533

But yea I see your point, not to mention I'm buying the leftovers as well.
and still the out of pocket before the rebates..

I have some time to think about it, and possibly come up with the cash.

If all else fails, I might dedicate at least a few hours a day on my X58,
It really generates some heat though.

Alot to think about..
Any more ideas are welcome.
Back to top Go down
ExtremeGrandpa
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Advice on best utilizing this hardware. Getting a 2nd 780i   Advice on best utilizing this hardware. Getting a 2nd 780i EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 7:20 am

Well I am impressed that you are considering building a dedicated folding rig. I am currently looking at an upgrade across the farm, and I may have some thing I could get you on the cheap to help out with this. i have two XFX 9800 GT's that are the low power variety I can let you get for one hell of a deal being that you will be putting them to good use.

i bought them in late January of this year and they are in excellent shape. They do not require a external power source and power entirely off the PCIE slot. The PPD average on one of them is 4,500 each for a total of 9K PPD out of the two.

The GT 240 gets between 3,800 to 4,500 PPD so its about the same at max as the 9800 GT low power

It looks like the 240 dosent require external power either. My email is nghtwsl@yahoo.com if you are interested in hearing what I have to offer.

EG
Back to top Go down
http://foldingforthefuture.forumjonction.com
Mr_Scary

PostSubject: Re: Advice on best utilizing this hardware. Getting a 2nd 780i   Advice on best utilizing this hardware. Getting a 2nd 780i EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 1:27 pm

Thanks for the offer EG, I may be contacting you..
I will need to sell the 8800's..

In the meantime, I have come up with a plan.
I will be doing some PSU swapping when I get this Hardware.

My son's PC has an 800 watt Ultra X3
Server has a PC, Power, and Cooling 420 Watt

Now since my son's rig has a single 9800 GT SSC, it only requires a 400 Watt psu,
so I will put the 420 Watt in that, I will use the 800 Watt X3 for the Folding rig.

Now my server will need a PSU !

I found this Really Sweet deal on a Corsair 400CX, mor then enough for an E1400 Web Server.
Get this, Only $19.99 after $20.00 MIR, with promo code "BIGSAVE20" 20% off Power Supplies at NewEgg.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice on best utilizing this hardware. Getting a 2nd 780i   Advice on best utilizing this hardware. Getting a 2nd 780i Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice on best utilizing this hardware. Getting a 2nd 780i
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
EG's Folding Forum :: Hardware :: Motherboards-
Jump to: