EG's Folding Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EG's Folding Forum

Forum for discussing Folding at Home. And a place to seek help with the same.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

PS3

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
benlake

PS3 Empty
PostSubject: PS3   PS3 EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 3:45 pm

Just been sat here wondering as i seen it in the options menu i have a Playstation 3 i rarely use sat beside my pc.

Does anyone know if it can be used to help the nvidia user 2 user forums folding progress or will it just run with a default setting.

Then i could find a power lead hook it up and let her rip lol!
Back to top Go down
mrinfinit3

PS3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PS3   PS3 EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 4:19 pm

Yup PS3's work like a charm.. and actually put out some decent numbers. I have been thinking of starting a PS3 farm since it's actually cheaper in parts and less demanding on power.
Back to top Go down
http://www.socomcomputers.com
ExtremeGrandpa
Admin

PS3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PS3   PS3 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 6:10 am

Ah be careful here I checked into this myself. And certain models dont fold well, I think it maybe the slim model. but i talked to a guy that has a bunch and hes only averaging about 1000 PPD off of his units.

To be honest the best PPD for the money is to get some crappy boards and run the SMP CPU clients. An i7 920 overclocked can generate about 15000 PPD in WUs and bonuses. The bonuses are what gives you the high PPD average. But they only cruch big scientific WUs that are extremely time specific. One you complete 10 SMP wus then you start getting bonuses. And you must maintain an 80% or higher WU completion.

But a CPU farm is the cheapest way to go with the highest PPD average.

EG

PS. Even an older dual core can crunch a scientific WU it just takes longer. I have heard of guys that live in major cities doing a old PC recycle program and using the working parts to build a CPU farm. You dont need a bunch of expensive gear. For example I have a board running on a 10 gig HDD with 2 gigs of DDR 2 ram 333mhz with a dual core AMD 5600 + . The CPU alone nets me about 7,500 PPD which is higher than many 200 series GPUs can output. And a 5600 + can be had for about 50.00 dollars. So you get the idea, it doesnt have to be super expensive to fold.
Back to top Go down
http://foldingforthefuture.forumjonction.com
mrinfinit3

PS3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PS3   PS3 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 5:44 am

I'll look into that.... was offered a dual xeon board w/ 2x xeon dual core's 3.2Ghz cpus and 2Gb ddr2-reg for $100 today..... may call the guy now.. considering it would pull a hell of alot less power than a gpu based client unit.... Still looking into setting up a 1x client per core set-up.. seems to be much more difficult that setting up multi-gpu...
Back to top Go down
http://www.socomcomputers.com
ExtremeGrandpa
Admin

PS3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PS3   PS3 EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 7:11 am

I wouldnt try and setup a SMP client like that. The unicore client will do that but wont net you the kind of PPD a SMP client will.

The unicore client doesnt receive bonus points like the SMP client does.

Lets see if i can explain from my limited knowledge. The SMP clients run a special kind of scientific WU that has great importance. The Scientific WUs are more more intensive and because of the importance they have a limited time frame to fold. (i believe its 48hrs) and you have to maintain 80% or higher completion of WUs on time and without errors in order to receive the bonuses.

Running a SMP client is almost like running prime 95 24/7, and thats no joke. You have the ability to set the percentage of the CPU used. Never set it to 100% if you are also running GPU clients on the same rig. This is because the GPU clients also use a small percentage of the CPU, and if the SMP client is using 100% then it slows the GPUs down to a crawl. 85% is what i set mine to so they arent maxed all the time.

Heres the break down on how the SMP client folds on my CPUs.

i7 920 is folding at 1% every 5 min, Q9650 is folding at 1% every 7 min, Q6600 is folding at 1% every 8 to 9 min.

Phenom 955 is folding at 1% every 9 min, Athlon 64 x 2 5600 + folds 1% every 21 min.

So you see a good cheap quad core is the way to go. But the Xeons are monsters at this kind of work.

If I got offered a deal like that I would fall all over myself getting it. LOL

EG
Back to top Go down
http://foldingforthefuture.forumjonction.com
Sponsored content

PS3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: PS3   PS3 Empty

Back to top Go down

PS3
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
EG's Folding Forum :: Software :: Folding apps-